Monday, March 25, 2013

Cutting Strips


So....cedar strips...I was able to use some of the last cedar that my grandpa originally cut on the sawmill.  This was nice because a)  I didn't have to buy cedar, and b)  it adds some sentimental value to it for me.  This does add a few challenges though...first off...most people like to buy 10 foot long strips or longer...trying to avoid having seams in the side of the canoe. Now, having a seam does not affect the structural integrity of the canoe...some people do not like the look of seams in the wood.  The cedar I have to build with comes in 8 foot lengths...so I will have 2 seams on all of the longer pieces.  Second...the cedar does have more knots than I would have had to work around if I purchased select grade wood...so we have to account for more waste in the strips...hopefully I cut enough!  Also, this cedar is much lighter than some of the real "red" hued canoes...oh well, it will just make mine more unique!
Anyway...last weekend, my dad and I cut the cedar strips.  He is a woodworker at heart, and has a shop with all of the necessary tools.  My plan is to cut all the strips at his shop, but then do the build in my garage...I will have more time to work on it at my house rather than driving up to his place on a nightly basis.
Anyway, we first planned the boards down so they were smooth and 3/4 inch thick...then we straightened one edge, and then ripped them on the table saw into strips 1/4 inch thick.  Once we had all of those strips, we cut a bead on one side, and a cove on the other with a table mounted router.  These make the strips so they interlock with each other some.ImageImageImage

No comments:

Post a Comment