Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Maiden Voyage

So the canoe is done (sorta) and ready to glide through water for the first time.  We had an absolutely wonderful day outside, so I took a few pictures at home, and then some pictures during the madden voyage.


It was a sad moment when I had to put the ugly lime green license on it...but it has to be done...  The seats are webbed with 2 inch webbing fastened to the bottom of the seats with more of the brass screws and washers.  Its a simple, effective, and comfortable way to do a seat!





I also put a keel on which I think I forgot to talk about.  I cut it 3/4 x 3/4 and used two pieces of birch I had.  I would have prefered to use walnut as I think it would have looked a bit cooler, but I was all out of walnut and still have some birch...yeah.

I sealed all sides of the birch before I screwed it to the hull of the canoe, and then varnished over it.  I like the idea of applying the keel at the end of the build because if/when the keel needs to be replaced, it will be easy to do so.





So for the maiden voyage, my wife really wanted to go.  I think it had more to do with marking the milestone of me being done with it than anything else!  :)  I also got one of the 2 twins (Hannah) to come along for the ride.  Just a short paddle, but it was great to see how she handled.








A few pictures of the canoe on shore, and we called it a day!











No comments:

Post a Comment