Friday, May 24, 2013

Fiberglassing the inside

Well, I have not posted for a few weeks, but I have been at least somewhat busy!  I kind of grounded to a halt with the sanding of the inside of the hull...but I did finally get it all done.  I scraped the glue off and some of the cedar with a paint scrapper, and then sanded the entire hull with 60 grit sandpaper on the random orbital sandpaper.  This worked well, but took a long time.  IM thinking if/when I do it again, I will look for courser sandpaper for this stage...45 grit?  Anyway...I talked my dad and brother into coming over on a Saturday morning and we were able to get the inside fiberglassed pretty easily.


 
Later that night, I asked my buddy Karl to come over, and we squeeged on the 2nd coat.  I actually enjoy the fiberglass/resin work.  It is fun to see the results, and how the finished product is going to look.  I have decided though that when doing large areas of the canoe, that having at least 2 people is necessary to keep working efficiently.  Either having 2 people applying resin and one person mixing batches or resin, or 1 person applying and 1 person mixing.
 
The next night I brushed on the 3rd and finally coat of resin on the inside of the hull.  I think its turninig into one sexy canoe!  :)
 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment