Friday, May 24, 2013

Gunnels/Decks

So, the last 1/3 of the project begins.  I started by cutting the walnut for the gunnels at my Dad's shop.  I chose a scupered gunnel design...I enjoy the cosmetics of the look.  My outter gunnel will compose of a solid strip of 3/8 x 3/4 walnut.  The inner gunnel has a solid strip of 3/8 walnut with 1/4 thick spacer blocks.  The blocks are 4 inches long with a 4 inch space in between.  I glued on all of the spacer blocks to the inner gunnel before applying everything to the hull of the canoe.  Right now, I have the gunnels attached to the canoe...but this was a dry fit.  I plan to take them off, apply resin to the backside of the gunnels to seal them, and then re-apply them for good.

 
I forgot to take any pictures of the building of the decks.  I wanted to do something a little fun/different so I got my hands on a piece of Tiger Maple.  I put a strip of walnut in the middle, and glued it together.  Im hoping that it looks really cool once I get the resin and varnish on it.
 
 
The gunnels are kind of a 2 person job as well.  I find it much easier to bend/hold the gunnels in place while someone else screws them in.  Im sure I will find myself doing some of this alone...but oh well.  I am screwing the gunnels on with 1 inch brass screws.  I am counter-sinking them so that they are flush, and then putting in 1 screw that lines up with the center of each 4" spacer block. 
 
Next up....seats, thwarts, and yokes!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment