Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Gunnels Part II

Alrighty...so busy as always is too busy.  The canoe is done!  I launched it only July 4th...needless to say, I hope to update rest of blog tonight so you can all see what I've been up to.  So last I left you, I was finishing up the gunnels and decks.  After I had the gunnels dry fitted, I took them off of the canoe and applied a coat of resin to the backside of them, I then applied them to the canoe with the resin still wet.  My idea behind this was that I knew that I needed the inside of the scuppered spaces to be sealed with resin, and did not enjoy the thought of coating it while on the canoe with just the 1/4 space to work in.  I also figured that the wet resin on the backside of the blocks would act as a glue and bond the gunnels to the hull nicely.  One way of thought says that the better the gunnels are attached to the hull, the stronger they are.  The other way of thought says that if they get damaged, you want them relatively easy to remove and replace...so I figured just using the resin and screws might be a happy medium.



The accenting of the tiger maple turned out ok.  I did some reading on it and it appears that in order to really make the grain pop, you should add some dyes to it.  I didn't have any, nor did I want to deal with it right now.  Applying the resin made the grain pop some, but you have to look it at the right angle to really see how cool it is.  Otherwise, it pretty much looks like the birch I used for the seats and thwarts, so no one really every really know the difference!

No comments:

Post a Comment